Action Required! If you plan to bill Medicaid, the OhioRISE plan, or Medicaid Managed Care Organizations for CANS assessments, you must be an enrolled Medicaid provider and add the “ORC – CANS Assessor” specialty to your enrollment. Click on the “Billing for CANS Assessments” tab below for guidance.
The new OhioRISE program will use the Ohio Children’s Initiative Child and Adolescent Needs and Strengths (CANS) tool to establish eligibility. The CANS was developed with leadership from Governor DeWine’s Children’s Initiatives and Ohio’s child-serving state agencies and is used by a wide variety of providers to inform care planning and decision-making for children and adolescents with behavioral health needs. Certified Ohio Children’s Initiative CANS assessors are expected to use the CANS to gather all information about the child/youth and family story to describe their strengths and needs.
The Ohio Children’s Initiative CANS Information Technology (IT) System has launched for use across Ohio’s child-serving systems. The CANS IT System:
- Documents CANS assessments and reassessments/updates with a youth/caregiver. Certified Ohio Children’s Initiative CANS assessors will register and use the system to document these assessments in a single location.
- Supports our cross-system goal of “one child, one CANS” and ensure that youth/caregivers do not need to retell their stories.
- Improves care continuity and collaboration. Outputs/results are accessible to assessors and care team members, promoting cross-system coordination in real time.
- Produces and reviews immediate Decision Support Model outputs and recommendations.
- Records information about the child/youth and their caregiver(s) within one shared system.
- Tracks trends and outcomes to identify gaps and inform access and capacity improvement efforts.
Click on the tabs below for more information regarding the CANS tool.
1. How to Obtain Ohio Children’s Initiative CANS Certification
You must have Ohio Children’s Initiative CANS certification to register in the CANS IT System and complete a CANS assessment with a child/youth. To become a certified Ohio Children’s Initiative CANS assessor, you must:
1. Complete CANS training with the Child and Adolescent Behavioral Health Center of Excellence (COE), which is responsible for providing statewide professional development activities related to the Ohio Children’s Initiative CANS assessment tool. Assessors must complete the Transformational Collaborative Outcomes Management (TCOM) and Ohio Children’s Initiative CANS Comprehensive training with the COE.
- If you were already certified in a previous version of the CANS, you will need to complete the new version of the TCOM and Ohio Children's Initiative CANS training sessions.
- Click on the next tab titled “April – May CANS Training Schedule” to register for upcoming trainings.
- If you are having difficulty accessing or enrolling in a CANS training, please reach out to the COE at email@example.com for assistance.
2. Register on the Praed Foundation’s website to complete the CANS assessor certification exam and pass with a 70% or higher.
- The COE will provide you with a coupon code to waive the cost of the exam after you have completed their training.
3. Register to use the CANS IT System on or after May 2, 2022.
- Please note, assessors must wait one (1) full day after passing the certification exam with Praed to register and begin conducting assessments in the CANS IT System. The CANS IT System receives this information from Praed to verify your exam was taken and passed.
2. May – June CANS Training Schedule
Click on the links below to register for the CANS training session of your choice. CANS Training FAQ document is available to assist with CANS training registration questions. For additional questions or concerns related to CANS training registration, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
|Training Type (May 2022)||Date||Time (Click to Register)|
|TCOM and CANS||5/2/2022 (FULL)||8:30 — 3:30 PM EST|
|TCOM and CANS||5/13/2022 (FULL)||8:30 — 3:30 PM EST|
|TCOM and CANS||5/16/2022 (FULL)||8:30 — 3:30 PM EST|
|TCOM and CANS||5/18/2022 (FULL)||8:30 — 3:30 PM EST|
|TCOM and CANS||5/20/2022 (FULL)||8:30 — 3:30 PM EST|
|TCOM and CANS||5/23/2022 (FULL)||8:30 — 3:30 PM EST|
|TCOM and CANS||5/25/2022 (FULL)||9:00 — 4:00 PM EST|
|Training Type (June 2022)||Date||Time (Click to Register)|
|TCOM and CANS||6/3/2022 (FULL)||8:30 — 3:30 PM EST|
|TCOM and CANS||6/7/2022 (FULL)||8:30 — 3:30 PM EST|
|CME ONLY: TCOM and CANS||
6/10/2022 (seats are available!)
*Only for employees of an OhioRISE CME
|9:00 — 4:00 PM EST|
|TCOM and CANS||6/14/2022 (FULL)||8:30 — 3:30 PM EST|
|TCOM and CANS||6/16/2022 (FULL)||8:30 — 3:30 PM EST|
|TCOM and CANS||6/20/2022 (FULL)||8:30 — 3:30 PM EST|
|CME ONLY: TCOM and CANS||
6/20/2022 (seats are available!)
*Only for employees of an OhioRISE CME
|8:30 — 3:30 PM EST|
|TCOM and CANS||6/22/2022 (FULL)||8:30 — 3:30 PM EST|
|TCOM and CANS||6/24/2022 (FULL)||8:30 — 3:30 PM EST|
|TCOM and CANS||6/27/2022 (FULL)||8:30 — 3:30 PM EST|
The COE is offering CANS office hours which create an opportunity for professionals who are currently using or preparing to use the CANS in practice to ask individualized questions, gain targeted technical assistance, and receive coaching support. Registration is limited to 15 participants per office hours sessions. Office Hours will be conducted virtually and in group format.
|5/12/2022||9:00 — 10:00 AM EST||Click here to register|
|5/26/2022||9:00 — 10:00 AM EST||Click here to register|
|6/9/2022||9:00 — 10:00 AM EST||Click here to register|
|6/23/2022||9:00 — 10:00 AM EST||Click here to register|
3. Billing for CANS Assessments
You must be an enrolled Medicaid provider in order to bill for a CANS assessment. If you are a provider who is not currently enrolled in the Ohio Medicaid program and wish to enroll to provide any services under the next generation of Ohio Medicaid, including the CANS, please visit the following link to the Ohio Medicaid online application: https://portal.ohmits.com/Public/Providers/Enrollment/tabId/49/Default.aspx. Additional resources for provider enrollment are available on the Ohio Medicaid website.
Once you have enrolled as a Medicaid provider or if you are currently enrolled, you will need to add the “ORC – CANS Assessor” specialty to your provider enrollment. Please email ODM at Medicaid_Provider_Update@medicaid.ohio.gov to request that the “ORC – CANS Assessor” be added to your existing provider type, include the provider NPI and Medicaid ID in the body of the email, and attach the Praed Foundation certification in the Ohio Children’s Initiative CANS to fulfill the required documentation for this specialty addition. Click here to access the OhioRISE Provider Specialties Guide for additional guidance.
If you are interested in contracting with Aetna Better Health of Ohio, the OhioRISE plan, and Ohio Medicaid’s Next Generation Managed Care Organizations to provide CANS assessor services, you must contact them directly using the provider relations contact information found on the Ohio Medicaid Managed Care website’s Resources for Providers page.
Please note, Ohio Children’s Initiative CANS assessors are not required to enroll with Medicaid if they do not intend to bill Medicaid for the service. You may be a certified assessor and register in the CANS IT System without enrolling as a Medicaid provider.
4. CANS IT System Training
The following recorded trainings are available to orient you to the new CANS IT System. The Ohio Children's Initiative CANS IT System User Guide is also available to help you accurately complete CANS assessments within the CANS IT System.
5. Access the CANS IT System
Click here to access the Ohio Children’s CANS IT System. In addition to the CANS IT System training found in the “CANS IT System Training” tab, the questions below are available to assist you with your registration.
1. Where do I find my assessor ID and Praed certification number for CANS IT System registration?
You should have received an email from Praed with your certification information. You may also go to https://www.schoox.com/login.php and follow these steps to see your certification information:
» Go to My Profile
» Go to Certificates -> (certification information, including assessor ID and certification number)
» Please note, when registering in the CANS IT System DO NOT include the “c” in your certification number
2. What is my CANS IT System USERNAME? I thought it was my email address?
Your CANS IT System username is the email address you used to register and “.CANS” at the end. For example, email@example.com (not case sensitive).
For additional information about the CANS IT System, please click here to see the Ohio Children’s Initiative CANS IT System User Guide.
6. Contacts for Support
CANS training: Please contact the COE at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Medicaid provider enrollment: Please contact the Ohio Medicaid Provider Hotline at 1-800-686-1516.
OhioRISE program: Please contact the OhioRISE mailbox and visit the OhioRISE webpage for more information on OhioRISE.
Ohio Children’s Initiative CANS IT System: Please contact the ODM ITS mailbox and include “OhioRISE-CANS ” in the subject line for faster routing.